2nd Lieutenant Edwin Gwyther was born in 1881, the son of local school teachers William & Louisa Gwyther. The 1901 census records Edwin as the ‘Assistant Master’ at Five Ways Board School on Wimblebury Road.
Edwin was also a keen sportsman and was the Captain of the successful Heath Hayes Unity Cricket Club for several years.
By 1917 Edwin was serving with the 1st/6th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment and he had married local girl Agnes Hall.
Sadly the following year Agnes received news that Edwin had been injured on the battlefields of France – he died from his injuries on 28th May 1918.
The engraving on the bottom of the Chalice reads: ‘Presented to St. John’s Church by Agnes Gwyther in memory of her beloved husband Edwin Thomas Gwyther. To the Glory of God’.
Although the Chalice is nearly one hundred years old, it is still used in weekly services at St. John’s Church on Hednesford Road.
Edwin was buried at the Etaples Military Cemetery in France and commemorated on the Heath Hayes War Memorial.
* A further reference to Edwin can be found under Gwen Stanfield’s memories in the local stories section.