Corporal Richard James Timmins

poppyCorporal Richard Timmins was born in 1886, the son of Isaiah & Emma Timmins from Kidderminster.  The family appear to have moved to Hednesford Road, Heath Hayes around 1899.

Richard was employed as a coal hewer at the Coppice Colliery (known locally as the ‘Fair Lady’) and in 1912 he married Annie Marriott.

Richard was a member of the Cannock Fire Brigade, an assistant Scout Master and a Sunday School teacher.

Shortly after the outbreak of war, he enlisted with the 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment.

In spring 1917, Richard was awarded the ‘Military Medal’ for his courage and gallantry in France but a few months later on 14th August 1917, he was reported as ‘killed in action’.

Church Paten (Small)In 1919 Annie Timmins presented a silver Paten (pictured left) to St. John’s Church, Heath Hayes in memory of Richard.

The engraving on the base reads: ‘Presented to St. John’s Church in May 1919 by Annie Timmins. To the Glory of God, in memory of her beloved husband R.J. Timmins (M.M), Corporal 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment, Assistant Scout Master & Sunday School Teacher, who died in service August 14 1917′.

Richard is commemorated on the Heath Hayes War Memorial and on the Menin Gate of the Ypres Memorial in France.

 

This entry was posted in Roll of Honour. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.